Does Summer Leave You Suffering from High Energy Bills?
Why Energy Use Soars in the Summer
It’s not uncommon for energy costs to rise significantly during the summer months. Your air conditioner needs to pump out the hot, humid air to keep your home dry and comfortable. The more it runs, the higher your energy bills are.
That said, there are some simple things you can do to keep bills more level. For example, try raising your air conditioner thermostat to 78 degrees. For most homes, that step alone can help to reduce your energy costs by 1% to 3%.
Get Started Now with These Energy-saving Tips
Ready to start reducing your energy costs? Start here.
1. Stop air leaks from around all windows and doors. You can do this by simply caulking the framing. Do the same for floors, walls, and areas where there are exposed wires and pipes.
2. Always buy ENERGY STAR appliances when you need to upgrade. These appliances are marked as being efficient for you.
3. As they die out, switch all incandescent light bulbs in your home with LED bulbs. They last for much longer and use less energy.
4. Install an ENERGY STAR programmable thermostat for your home. Aim to set it at about 78 degrees during the summer months for the best savings.
5. Keep your home’s cooling system dust-free by changing out the filters.
6. Add an aerating and low-flow faucet to your bathroom and kitchen. Also, switch to a low-flow showerhead.
7. Place all electronics in a room or on a countertop on a power strip. Then, when not in use, simply turn off the entire strip.
8. Make sure to insulate your ductwork. This may take a professional to help keep air from escaping.
9. Add insulation throughout your attic as well as the crawl space and any exterior walls you can.
10. Talk to your Choate’s plumber about wrapping your water heater with insulation.
Curb Summer Energy Costs with eScore
While that’s a good start, to truly save money on summer energy bills you need an efficient system in place. That’s where eScore comes in.
eScore provides low-cost and no-cost tips and tools to help you save money on your energy bills. These simple strategies -- and Choate’s HVAC can help.
How Does eScore Help You Save Money?
As a residential energy program, eScore gives homeowners a clear path to making your home as energy efficient as possible.
While efficiency is good for the environment, it’s also the best way to keep your home’s energy costs in-line budget-wise, especially during the summer months. The process includes tapping a member of eScore’s Quality Contractor Network -- a contractor like Choate’s HVAC. The Tennessee Valley Authority has vetted and approved all participating contractors to provide homeowners with fast, reliable help for energy needs.
It’s a simple, free way to get your questions answered while discovering new ways to save money on your energy costs. Choate’s can quote these things and once performed TVA will inspect our work and provide a free energy audit at the same time.
Contact Choate’s to learn more about eScore and how our expert team can help you save all summer long.
Share this Post